Friday 26 September 2014

Member of the Month - SHARON


Tell us three things about yourself.
1. I work full time.
2. I have two dogs.
3. Crafting is my chill out time.


Who taught you your first craft?
My Mum taught me how to knit. I did the usual beginner things of knitting a hat and a scarf and a tea-pot cosy.

Which finish are you most proud of?
I would say it was my 3 ply shawl that I knitted for my son. It was so fine, it was like a spider's web!

What was your biggest crafting disaster?
Beading. I had done a necklace which was quite long. I was so proud of it as it had taken weeks to complete.Then I noticed that one of the large beads had been added the wrong way round! I just couldn't live with the necklace looking like that so I just had to take it apart and start again.

What other crafts do you do?
I do knitting, beading and felting.


Your List of Favourites -
Favourite yarn or supplies - I like knitting with cotton and really soft baby yarn.
Favourite designs - I love Kaylee Jade knitting patterns.
Favourite colours - I prefer neutral colours and baby pastels in pink, blue and mint green.
Favourite shop - I like the Yarn Cafe in Queen Margaret Drive and of course Hobbycraft. I really like the Wee Wool Shop in Johnstone.
Favourite craft book - Debbie Bliss for knitting, The Bead Workers Guild Book which gives a variety of neccklaces and designs.


What would you like to achieve in the future?
Obviously I would always like to continue to knit, bead etc in a wee house in Ireland overlooking a bay. I love Ireland, especially the quiet remote parts of Donegal.

What do you like to listen to or watch while you are crafting?
I listen to Pan Pipes at home. I find that it really helps me to chill out. I sometimes like to watch a movie while I'm knitting but when I'm beading I need to concentrate.


What words of wisdom would you give to a beginner?
I was teaching a young relative to knit recently and I told her, "You've got to be patient and practice. Just keep going and you will be pleased when you have a completed garment that you made yourself."

What are you working on at the moment?
A little matinee jacket from an old, old pattern that I love. It is mostly plain with a picot edge. I'm also going to do the hat and mitts to match.




No comments: