Sunday 24 January 2010

Ginnie - January Member of the Month

1. Tell me about yourself.

I am originally from Surrey and have lived in Scotland for 20 years. I am a trainer in leadership and development work in Universities. I have three brothers, three sisters, fourteen nieces and eight great nieces and nephews. I am also owned by two cats, Kitty and Billy.

2. Where/when did you learn to knit?

My mum taught me to knit when I was four or five. I started with a kids set I got for my birthday. My mum cast on ten stitches for me and I ended up with twenty seven. The first thing I finished was a teddy bear that I made in school. The first garment I made was a pair of mittens covered in cables. Meant I didn't have to knit fingers (below is the first pair of socks Ginnie knitted).

3. What has been your biggest success?

Finishing my first double bed hand stitched quilt.

4. What was your biggest disaster?

The quilt was also my biggest disaster. I used the wrong type of wadding so it is more like a duvet. I can't wash it as it won't even fit in the machine. It's even too big to be take to the dry cleaners.


5. What other crafts do you do?

Mainly quilting but I think I have done everything. I have tried spinning, weaving, jewellery making, lace, tatting, etc. I even have an o level in pottery.

6. Your list of favourites.

Favourite yarn - Lorna laces Shepherd sock wool. It has great definition
Favourite product - my proknit symphonie needles.
Favourite pattern - anything in a sock really
Favourite designer - I really like sock designer Cookie
Favourite shop - I love getknitted, both it's online store and actual store. It's like a warehouse and the online store has great service.
Favourite colour - I like all colours apart from pale yellow through to mustard. I can't wear it.
Favourite book - The one I am building myself. It's a folder which I have filled with sock patterns from magazines I have collected over the years. I also love the Mason-Dixie books as they are a good read.



7. What big project/challenge would you like to do?

I bought the pattern and all the wool to knit a tunic dress. It is done in 20 colours on 2.5 needles and knitted vertically. Each colour is done in a couple of stripes and you can't carry the yarn on. It means a lot of loose ends to weave in. Might be a while before I do that one.

8. What do you like to watch or listen to whilst crafting?

I have the worlds largest collection of film on DVD. I also like to listen to audio books.





9. What would be your one piece of advice to other knitters?

Try socks.

10. What is your favourite non-craft book?

Man Who Was Magic by Paul Gallico. It's a kids book which is no longer in print sadly. It's about believing in yourself and making things happen.





No comments: