Friday 11 February 2011

June - January MOTM

1. Tell us about yourself.

I am an aged granny an mother to many, many pets. I trained as a sick Children's nurse and a midwife. I was a midwife for about nine years.

2. Where did you learn to knit?

I don't really remember. I think my grandmother taught me to knit. Generally I would knit for my parents. I also learned dressmaking in school. When I was ten my first project was a dirndle skirt. It was green with ricrac braid.

3. What has been your biggest success?

My large cross stitch which I worked on on and off. I originally bought the kid in Copenhagen. I did a bit in Germany and then finished it here in Scotland. It's about 34 years old now.

4. What was your biggest disaster?

I made a beautiful, jade evening coat. It was a lovely design and lovely fabric. When cutting though I completely forgot about the nap of the fabric (direction of the weave). I didn't have the heart to redo it.
5. What other crafts do you do?

I crochet - I have done two large afghans. I also knit, cross stitch. I can do crewel embroidery but it irritates me. I can tat. With a parrot and a grand daughter though it makes it hard to concentrate. I once tatted little rosettes for my friends wedding.

6. List of favourites;

Favourite product - I like heritage (cross stitch).
Favourite designs - I love dormice, animals, cottages and country designs
Favourite designers - John Clayton, Valerie Preifer
Favourite stores - John Lewis, Hobbycraft and Macaree's. The have a wall of bookshelves filled with wool, books and needles.
Favourite colours - greens, jades, blue and teal.

7. What is your future goal?

To get all my WIP finished. I have an alphabet sampler aside for Amilee when she is a bit older. It has lovely mice on it.

8. What do you like to listen to/watch whilst crafting.

I love Classic FM. I am heavily into classical music. I also have a parrot on my shoulder usually.

9. What advice do you have for beginners?

With cross stitch it's always best to start on something small.

10. What non-craft books do you like?

I like crime mainly. I enjoy Jeffery Deaver, Tess Gerritson and Patricia Cornwall.





No comments: