Friday, 25 October 2013
Kathleen - Member of the Month
1. Tell us three things about yourself we might not know.
I used to go jiving, I loved dancing. I did three years of hairdressing in the evenings. I also used to be a cook with the fire brigade. I did that for a long time but I am now an auxiliary nurse.
2. Who taught you your first craft?
Jean taught me how to seed bead. Before that I taught myself to knit as my mum didn't knit. I learned to crochet not that long ago from watching youtube and from people here at the group.
3. What finish are you most proud of?
My crochet - all my crochet hats because I desperately wanted to learn when the kids were young. As soon as I learned how to do it I wanted to tell the world.
4. What has been your biggest crafting disaster?
An aran jumper I started for my daughter when she was little. She is now 42 and I found it the other week still unfinished.
5. What other crafts do you do?
Jewellery, seed beading, I also love DIY. I did everything in my caravan. I covered the seating laid the carpets and the tiles.
6. Your list of favourites
Favourite yarn - I love double knit. I double it up when I knit with it to make it chunky
Favourite designs - lacey
Favourite colours - pinks, purples, and white
Favourite shop - Bargain Wools
Favourite online shop - ebay. I am forever on there ordering patterns.
7. What would you like to achieve in the future?
I would like to crochet a cardigan set for my granddaughter. Just now all I make her is the hats. I would like her to have a full set.
8. What do you like to watch or listen to when crafting?
I like to listen to the football. I have lived in a house full of boys. I also like Judge Judy, Corrie, Mrs Browns Boys. Anything that has a bit of lightness to it.
9. What words of wisdom would you give a beginner?
Keep at it. I was determined with the crochet - took me 30 years but I got there. Try the squares first.
10. What craft would you like to learn next?
Maybe bag felting. I have tried it before and it didn't go well.
11. What are you working on just now?
A pair of ugg boots. I have done the first one. Had to take it back a few times but I'm quite proud of it.