Sunday 8 March 2009

Isobel - March Member of the Month

1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I work full time as an occupational therapist in mental health. I am in my mid 50's. I'm married with one son and 3 grandchildren who live in the US. I usually get across to see them twice a year. They range from 5 months to 5 years old and are absolutely gorgeous. I do a lot of knitting for them.


2. Where did you learn to knit?

My mother taught me to knit although we were also taught in primary school.

3. What's your biggest success?

In the 80's I knitted fair isle and Icelandic jumpers. I like things with a complex pattern and a variety of colours.


4. What's your biggest disaster?

In school I had to knit yellow socks. I had to rip it out so many times that the wool eventually turned black. I have never done socks since.

5. Do you enjoy any other crafts?

I enjoy doing kids crafts with my grandaughter. We have done paper mache, box decorating, potter, fimo clay, painting, cardmaking and so many more.


6. Your list of favourites;

favourite yarn: Noro wool, for the colours.

favourite knitting accessory: Cathy Kidston needle holder.

favourite pattern: fair isle
favourite shop: John Lewis
favourite colours: anything green, earthy/forresty colours
7. What's your dream project/would love to knit in the future?

I would love to knit a shawl - a fine, lacey Christening shawl - for my great grandchildren.


8. What do you like to watch or listen to whilst knitting?

Coronation St

9. Knitting hint or tip?

Always have a pen and paper at the ready to take notes. When casting on a lot of stitches place yarn every so often so that you don't have to go back and count.

10. What's your favourite non- knitting book?

"The Masters" by C. P. Snow. I've read this one the most often. There is a whole series of them that starts back in the 40's and catalogs the life of a young man going to university. This one picks up when he is a master and another tutor is dying. It's basically about the politics around that. It's a microcosm of the real world. There are about 7 books in total.

No comments: