Tuesday 22 June 2010

Monika - June Member of the Month

1. Tell us about yourself.


I am 34 1/2. Sometimes I'm crazy sometimes just the usual. I have wonderful son who will be 7 in August. He is the most important man in my life. I am from Poland and have been living in Glasgow for almost 3 years.


2. How did you learn to sew?


When I was a girl I would spend the evenings with my gran who would stitch our clothes. I would then start with small projects such as pot holders. My gran had very neat stitching and she taught me to sew so that no one can see your stitches. The first big thing I did was in the first year of high school. I turned an old dress into a top and skirt which was very 60's like. It was all hand stitched and no one could believe I had done it. All it cost was time.

3. What is your proudest achievement?


That I have discovered how I want to live. It happened here. I know what I next want to do and it has given me confidence. It has changed me. Now I do things, take action like the race for life. Every single thing counts.


4. What was your biggest disaster?


I wanted to sew bags for the fair. I had a lot to do to the pattern, change it to make it better, and so in the end I didn't. I prefer to do toys.


5. What other crafts do you enjoy?


I am also a knitter and I crochet. There is plenty that I want to learn to do such as scrapbooking and cross stitch.


6. Favourites -


favourite fabric - I recycle fabrics from old clothes. I usually go to charity shops.
tools - fabric shears. They prevent fraying which is great with toys. Otherwise the rip whilst stuffing.
designs - based on tilda, I love designs by Tone Finnager. They include home products such as cushions. It's my inspiration
store - hobbycraft
colours - red, navy blue. I like almost every shade of blue. Also lilac and deep purple.
craft book - Tilda - pretty Home and Encyclopedia of crochet/knitting stitches.





7. What is your future goal?


I would like to do something with toys. My own designs and adaptations. I would like to have my own space on the Internet for them.


8. What do you like to listen to or watch whilst sewing?


I like Michael Buble and Frank Sinatra. Also Sting. When I am tired and need some energy there are some Polish songs I like to listen to. Especially when it is sunny. I also like to watch Braveheart and Gladiator. I Love historical stories.


9. Any advice for other sewing enthusiasts out there?


It's good to believe that you can do something. I got this from winning the competition in October. You don't have to be a designer to be successful or good at something.


10. Favourite non craft book?


Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. A friend recommended it to me. It's just so inspiring to me and saw a lot of myself in it. I am reading it for the third time now.

No comments: