Monday, 23 September 2013
Anthea - September Member of the Month
1. Tell us three things about yourself that we might not know.
I am an opera singer by training. I grew up in South Africa. I first moved to the UK when I was 21.
2. Who taught you your first craft?
My gran taught me to sew Barbie clothes even though I didn't have a Barbie (I didn't like them). My mum taught me to knit around the same time when I was 6.
3. What finish are you most proud of?
It's a tie between the aran crochet blanket and the crocodile crochet stitch bag that I did for Carina.
4. What is your biggest crafting disaster?
A dress I made as a teenager. I got the darts all wrong and so it was lopsided. I still wore it with pride.
5. What other crafts do you do?
cardmaking, scrapbooking, sewing, knitting, crochet, paint, draw and cross stitch.
6. List of favourites.
Favourite yarn - stylecraft
Favourite designs - aran crochet. I like the cabling.
Favourite colours - purples
Favourite online store - deramores
Favourite craft book - crochet masterclass
7. What would you like to achieve in the future?
Make a free form crochet garment. A dress. I don't know where to start though.
8. What do you like to listen to or watch while crafting?
It varies. I have eclectic taste. I usually have spotify on and it can have anything from classical to more modern.
9. What words of wisdom would you pass on to a beginner?
YouTube is your friend.
10. What craft would you like to learn in the future?
I would like to learn some of the old crochet techniques that aren't used now. I would also like to learn weaving.
11. What are you working on at the moment?
I am working on a shawl. I got the pattern from ravelry and the yarn at a craft fair. I struggled to pick which colours to go for. The yarn is called Moonlight by James C. Brett.