Saturday 1 May 2010

Joyce - April Member Of the Month

1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I will be 60 in August and officially an OAP. I worked in the Royal Bank of Scotland for 15 years. I have been married to my second husband for 26 years. I have a son who is 40 and a daughter who is 34. I also have three lovely grandchildren. 11 year old twins Laurin and Calvin and 2 year old Jake who is a wee treasure.

2. How did you learn to knit?

My grand taught me to knit when I was 4 1/2. I had two nervous breakdowns which meant a 6 year break but I went straight back on it again.

3. What is your proudest achievement?

Knitting a shawl. I do them all the time now. My first one didn't turn out too well but it didn't put me off as I loved doing it.

4. What was your biggest disaster?

Knitting socks. I had to knit them in school. I tried to turn the heel so many times I broke the yarn. My gran also tried to teach me to crochet. She taught me on the Sunday then came back at the end of the week to see how I got on. I couldn't get it to stay flat.



5. Do you do any other crafts?

Just knitting. My daughter tried to teach me to cross stitch as she does beautiful cross stitch. She used a Winnie the Pooh design to teach me. She went out to the shops and then came back to see how I had got on. I had added so many rows to Poohs belly that he would have been 10 ft high when finished.

6. Favourites;

colours - royal blue, peach, pink, purple and yellow
product - 4ply yarn for shawls and baby crofter.
designs - simple cables and double moss stitch. Also the tree of life shawl.
shop - a yarn store in Airdrie, Woolsack in Ayr, John Lewis and craft fairs.
online - fiddlesticksdevon.com

7. What challenge would you like to accomplish?

I would like to try a more complicated cable. I haven't quite picked up the nerve to do it. I also won 21 balls of wool to knit a kimono. A friend is going to do that one for me.

8. What do you like to listen to/watch whilst knitting?

I usually have the earphones on. I have to when knitting shawls. I will usually be knitting Westlife or Take That.

9. What would be your advice to other knitters?

Try and master a craft you have never mastered before. One day I will pick up a crochet hook.

Note: Joyce is our speed knitter which is why there are so few images of her work. She usually has them finished and sent away before she can bring them in to be photographed. Joyce is also famous for her lovely baby blankets.

No comments: